Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

when tv shows lose their luster

I was just updating my likes and dislikes on my Facebook account when I noticed I had the NBC series the office on there. Hmmm...I haven't watched that program at all this year and you know what? I haven't missed it! And this used to be one of my favorite shows and now, if I ever see it on television, even the reruns back from when it was good, I change the channel rather quickly.
I guess I'm just kinda disgusted by it now. I hate it when favorite televison shows lose their way like that. I used to find the show to be very fresh and witty, fresh and original but now...it's just blah balh blah!
Oh Michael Scott...when did you lose your way?
I think it was tv guide that coined the term "jumping the shark" which refers to the exact time when a television series loses their luster and goes from being extraordinary TV to just being more of the same. The term comes from the episode of the series "Happy Days" when Fonzie literally had to jump over a shark on his motorcycle or on his surfboard or something. Anyway..after that, it would seem, the show lost its creative spark and never regained it. I think there was even a book about shows "jumping the shark." Sorry...I don't remember the title of it or anything but google "jump the shark" and it's bound to pop up (I'm too lazy to google it for you...sorry, kids!)
Anyhoo...probably the most famous example of this if the episode of "Dallas," which was my favorite series at one time, where Pamela found her dead husband Bobby in her shower, very much alive at the end of one of the seasons...turns out the whole season, including all the plots we've been following ever so closely was "just a dream." What a ripoff that was! I never watched the show after that.
This happens to a lot of good shows...they change producers, writers, main characters and poof! The magic is gone!
Here's a partial list of some of the shows that I had loved at one time that did this, along with the estimated time of their creative demise:
1.) Dallas - TOD (time of demise): the aforementioned shower scene.
2.) Dynasty - TOD : either the Moldavian massacre or Krystal's evil twin...take yer pick.
3.) Will and Grace - TOD: Grace gets married and ruins the lovely fake gay marriage she has with Will.
4.) Ally McBeal - TOD: Billy is killed off...I mean...what the fuck? At least he didn't come back in a shower.
5.) All in The Family - TOD: When Mike and Gloria moved out...what were they thinking?
6.) Charlie's Angels - TOD: When Farrah left the show.
7.) Melrose Place - TOD: When Kimberly blew up the apartment complex, she pretty much blew up the show.
8.) Roseanne - TOD: Roseanne wins the lottery and loses viewers in droves. I mean...did that last season make any sense at all?
and...
9.) The Office - TOD: when Jim and Pam have their baby. When they got married, it was a bad blow, but the wedding episode was so hilarious that I'll let that slide.

So The Office is now dead to me. I certainly hope they don't try to make their situation even worse by continuing the show after Steve Carrell leaves this spring...I mean...what would be the point?

At least I still love Desperate Housewives, but even that is beginning to show signs of flippers. Creator Marc Cherry said at one time that this would be the show's last season. I hope he's right. The episodes are still hailarious and great and all that and it would be nice to see one good long-running show go out on top.

So, alas, I had to take The Office off my favorites list on Facebook. So it goes.

Happy viewing, kiddies!

No comments:

Post a Comment