Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

the haunts inside this house...

the floorboards scream
as the echos
bounce their woeful mourn
way up through the rafters
my feet try to tread lightly
it's an old place
a dark place
plenty of history
the years measured in cobwebs
and the intensity
of the stench
of a home long since abandoned
all cold now
on such a crisp autumn day
as brittle red and orange leaves
fly through broken windows
and land on the stained wooden planks
the floorboards of life
the foundation of death
i can see my breath now
as i muddle through
searching...always searching
for answers to questions
that most sane people stopped asking
a long time ago
a large black rat
screeches across the room
and hides behind tattered gray curtains
the furniture waterlogged
from the many storms
that snuck their way inside
so much lightning flashes
in a thunderous night
i have my little light
to bounce across the walls
at all the old paintings
of all the old people
with their big wet eyes
fixed upon me
i pull my coat in
just a little tighter
around my neck
as i shudder
i don't know
the whole story
only bits and pieces
are what remains
little electromagnetic
calling cards
tipping me off
to the intensity
of what might have been
on such a dark night
when the fireplace mantle
now so dusty and black
once lit up the whole room
with such a powerful glow
if i stand really still
i can hear the crying
of a little girl
and i can feel her little fingers
tugging at my hand
humming "come with me...
let me show you what they've done..."
sometimes in the dark corners
i can make out her form
playing with the bouncing light
trying to regain just an ounce
of a childhood
that was stolen from her
a long long time ago
there are others here too
though they don't speak
they just tower over me
breathing down my neck
smelling like stale smoke
in a burned out old parlour
the girl tries to hide from them
asking me to never tell
to never ever reveal
things best left unspoken
and i do just as she says
for i must protect her
for she was once my child
back when i was once actually alive
a luxury she lacks as well
now we just dance around
a forgotten old house
forever escaping the demons
and playing
catching just a glimmer of joy
somewhere just outside...
little patches of light

No comments:

Post a Comment